Resolution and DPI for Apparel and Promotional Products Orders
DPI stands for "dots per inch" and is the standard measure of printer resolution for digital imagery. DPI refers to the number of dots of ink that will appear within one square inch of the image when it's printed.
The minimum DPI required to screen print raster images is 200 at actual print size. For our digital printing service, the minimum is 72 DPI for dark ink on a light shirt, and 120 DPI for light ink on a dark shirt, at actual print size. The reason that DPI requirements are lower for digital printing is because digital printing goes straight from the digital image onto a shirt, whereas screen printing goes from a digital image to a stencil-like screen to a shirt, kind of like making a photocopy of a photocopy. We need the extra resolution to ensure the integrity of your final screen-printed image as it moves through this three-part process.
Are you having trouble figuring out your image's DPI?
On a PC, you can find this number by going to Start » Programs » Accessories » Paint, opening your image, and clicking on "Attributes" under the "Image" menu.
If you have a Mac, open your image in Preview (your default image viewing program), and go to Tools » Inspector » Image DPI.
Need help using our site?
Everything you need to know about setting up and using your Hotcards account
MY HOTCARDS ORDERS
All the behind the scene details about pre-existing orders
PLACING AN ORDER
Everything and anything you could want to know about placing an order!
We need a design to print. Whether it’s your own press ready file or a custom piece created by the Hotcards design team, you choose! All designs should be submitted as high resolution files with proper bleed and margins.
Checkout these options for more information on mailing your postcards or brochures through Hotcards!
APPAREL AND PROMO
Checkout these options for more information on your Apparel and Promo Order Through Hotcards!
- Apparel Print Templates
- What File Types can I submit for Apparel and Promo Orders?
- Can you help with my design?
- Protected Imagery
- What Is Process Printing?
- How can I print designs with photos?
- Specialty Inks
- How do I access my saved designs?
- How is my price calculated?
- Can I get a sample?
- How do I order my design with different products, colors or styles?
- What happens after my order is placed?
- Important design review information
- Keeping your order on schedule
- Image redraw and recreation
- Resolution and DPI for Apparel and Promotional Products Orders
- When will I recieve my Apparel or Promo Order?
- Turnaround time
- Next day Promo Orders
- Can I supply my own garments or promo products for printing?
- How many ink colors will I need to reproduce my image?
- What is your maximum size for apparel printing?
- Can I print sizing and care instructions on the inside collar of my garment?
- Where can I find a sizing chart for a garment?